Saturday, 10 December 2011

Sunday 19th June

Breakfast - pancakes, bacon and maple syrup. It sounds odd, but is delicious. I made it for my daughter on her tenth birthday , at first she turned her nose up at it, but after a forkful scoffed the lot.

Today is the day that I am going to try and boost my finances. When I moved out of the Vicarage, I set aside some Car Boot boxes that today are going to make me my millions. A suitable site has been selected in the Car Park at the centre of a Market town. It is my intention that all the books , door handle sets that my eldest son had saved for such an eventuality but never got round to selling, light bulbs, toys and objets d'art will sweep me off my feet and set me back on the road to financial freedom and independence.

For two hours, I maintain a nonchalant stance, interested but not disinterested as customers slowly come and swell the coffers to a tasty £103. Yes! Suddenly the day is transformed from bleak greyness to brilliant colour-filled sunshine where little lambs skitter about. And what was the secret of my success I hear you ask? Door handles is the answer! Yes, it is was the one item that people wanted to acquire above all others. Whether the success could be repeated on another occasion, I know not, but on this day, 19th June, it was door handles that the good townspeople were after. Long may they prosper , and praise be to my eldest son for his foresight.

As the hot selling got under way, I couldn't help but notice the cathedral spire above the rooftops. Somewhere in the distance was the church that I once belonged to and which now seems almost a memory on the horizon. The market was so busy , and I was left wondering whether people's acquaintance with the Church was as distant as that spire on the horizon. The $64,000 question is what is required to restore that relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment