Saturday, 30 July 2011

Friday 13th May 2011

Removal Day!

A day before the agreed vacation date.

Is this an auspicious day to move?

I don't believe in any of that stuff.

My eldest son arrives to help. His friend drops off a van, which my son and I start to load. Despite his grumpiness and the fact that he swears all the time, he is a good lad because he is helping his old dad eventhough he has a university exam in a few days time. The plan is to move the heavy furniture together, then when he goes I can move the smaller items myself.

The physical and emotional exhaustion of packing and lifting  becomes a form of slow torture. I do not like this one bit, moving a family home with so little help is unendurable. Fortunately, the trip to the storage unit is only 5 minutes away.

As the building empties, a home becomes a house.

The strain of the whole event is getting inside my head, not least because there is such a long way to go. No professional help, just my son  and myself. The Church are keen to help you when you are on the way in , but on the way out there is zero interest.

Ate two beefburgers which I had cooked at 9 o'clock that morning. I expect I shall get botulism too.

The storage is now full and there is still a high mountain to climb. On the last trip home with my son, we arrive at the front door to discover that we are locked out. Everything has been properly locked up but my son insists that he can break in  and with a leg-up he climbs on to a low roof leans through a small bedroom window and saves the day!

I spend a parental moment wonder where he gained all this experience.

Despite the pressures of the day, I am very much cheered by the family who have lent me the van. I can use it for free , no extra charge, just replace the diesel. These people aren't churchgoers, makes you wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment