Monday, 18 July 2011

Tuesday 10th May 2011

-4 days and counting.

I did a lot of sorting and reviewing, consolidating and collating today, but no packing.

Moving house again (for the 30th time ) is still not easy, I have not yet perfected the art. I guess I need more practice.

I really feel the need to have a place of my own . This is the 3rd house in a row that I have been forced out of, the previous two were through having to leave a job and the ending of my marriage. All is confusion at the moment, I really feel that the church could do more to help me, I feel as if I'm yesterday's man eventhough at the age of 51 I am still in late youth.

A sense of purposelessness is beginning to pervade and with it the dull-clawed dragon of despond. The longer I feel disconnected from the Church the less certain I feel that I will go back to it, and that is quite a prospect after having given the whole of my adult life to it. When I left University, I answered a call made by John Vincent at a conference to go and live in the inner city alongside those who were unemployed. It was the early 1980's and I went to live in inner city Leeds and deliberately chose to lead a life of faith in a poor multicultural area. I set up a series of self-help projects and worked principally with the Vietnamese, Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities. 'Christians Aware' was my inspiration and a life of faith charged up by the Taize and Iona communities was the real life. Seeing Christ in the face of the poor was a real and non-supernatural experience. So where has it all gone? In the words of Dante,

"In the middle of the journey of (my) life I found myself within a dark wood where the straight way was lost."

In the afternoon, I lit a fire to burn scrap bits of wood and garden waste. The fire was burning well, but for some reason I decided to throw a considerable length of asphalt from a roof on to it. Not only did the sticky, gloopy bitumen seep across the patio, but great thick clouds of smoke were released into the upper atmosphere. I knew the neighbours were out but still kept nervously looking out of the window for signs of their return. If any of them suffer from asthma I'm for the chop!

No comments:

Post a Comment