Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Wednesday 18th May

Day 5 of overstaying my welcome.

The day starts on a mattress with no sheets, and on the floor.

The jobs look small and manageable but my aching body tells me it is going to take all day.

Toward's the day's end I finally complete the last packing job. Then it is time to hoover and clean.

Another two hours pass and then it too is done.

Knowing that this is it, I go around the house taking photographs .

8 years ago, I arrived vowing to replace the decor and carpets, but all have survived me. As I go from room to room, a deep welling feeling threatens to break over me as I recall the fights, the arguments, the laughter and the happy times spent under this roof. I am glad I am alone, I could not speak to anyone else.

Times and days that will not return




I walk out of the door and that is it.

No going back now.

Some time later, late at night, I arrive at my new home. Unload the van and try and fit everything around the existing furniture in my aunt's house.



No comments:

Post a Comment