Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Friday 12th August

My mother has wanted a family get together for most of this year.

Once she gets a bee under her bonnet she can be quite insistent. And who was given the task of organising it all?

Muggins!

I was not in the best of moods today. Why had I been left to organise the whole thing when my younger brother seemed, as always, to get let off the hook?

The barbecue itself had been plucked straight from the municipal tip. One evening, my daughter and I had taken some grass cuttings down to the tip, and by chance I came across a large barbecue unit sitting on top of the skip. When no one was looking, I placed it safely inside my car.

The invited guests included, my brother and his partner and my mother's sister and her husband, not forgetting my three children.

Lighting a barbecue was the easy bit, and I had deliberately chosen an easy starter to get us going. Barbecued sardines with salt and lemon juice on toast. Somehow, the whole thing got terribly involved and I was left high and dry juggling all sorts of things, on the lawn, without an additional table or accompanying plates. etc. My mother had also annoyed me because we had made a shopping list together so as to save money, despite this she still went out and bought a load of shopping that neither of us had agreed on!

The purpose of the day was to wish my eldest son, 'Bon Voyage', on his trip to Canada to join in with the skiing season. My brother gave him , '£150' ! I shall have to give him £200 . I cannot have the boy's uncle giving more than the boy's father.

It was a wonderful day. the weather was good and I finally relaxed enough to enjoy itself.

Well done my mother for having a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment