Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Thursday 21st July

Today, a first for me.

At a funeral, a family's request for S- Club 7's ' Reach for the Stars' - a jaunty little number - was duly played at the Committal....

Well, the family said they wanted something upbeat. That's fine, I have no problem with that, it was just that when I had done the 'Forasmuch' - the adult daughter of the family climbed on to her pew and started clapping and dancing in time with the music , and encouraging everyone else on.

It was horrifying. I decided that I couldn't join in , so I turned and faced the coffin throughout.

It was like the worst sort of disco and failed because it was more about the music than about the person. I noticed that my reluctance / refusal to join in was joined with others who didn't want to appear disloyal to the daughter but couldn't bring themselves to dance.

Today, I finally discovered a dividing line. Mr liberal all things to all people is no more . instead Mr ' Dignity and Decorum' has taken up residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment